Peppermint essential oil is my favorite oil, or at least in my top five. I have been using this one faithfully since before I became obsessed with oils. You could say this is the one that fueled my passion. I just couldn’t believe that something so simple and small could work so thoroughly. I still remember my first peppermint oil purchase, well I know now it was probably a blend but still, it was life changing. This miraculous purchase was made at the Ayveda store, and it was a headache treatment in a little roller ball vial and it was wonderful. Lucky for me, I have learned how to make my own since then.
Simply Aroma’s oils are all simply pure, a promise to provide customers with the very best quality and testing of our essential oils. All our oils are certified 100% pure therapeutic grade. Our oils DO NOT contain fillers or artificial ingredients that could hamper their performance. Never ingest oils that you can not trust as pure. Our peppermint oil, Mentha piperita, is steam distilled.
Peppermint oil is more than just that little red and white candy. I use peppermint essential oil in my diffuser to make my house smell great, rub it on my forehead for headaches (see recipe below.) I diffuse it mixed with lavender every day in my office. Have I mentioned how much I love it! And enjoy it well because it takes over 1,000 pounds of mature peppermint plants to make just one pound of peppermint essential oil.
Benefits of Peppermint Essential Oil:
- Boosts clear breathing by diffusion or inhalation
- Relieves symptoms from cold and flu
- Helps with nausea
- Alleviates stomach pain.
- Helps with indigestion, rub on stomach or ingest a drop or two with water
- Eases headaches. Rub on temples at onset of head pain.
- Get rid of ants! Just leave a peppermint oil soaked cotton ball in the path of the ants and they will leave.
- Raise energy levels and helps with concentration.
- Diffuse for help with stress and depression
Directions for Using Peppermint Essential Oil:
- Diffusion – add 3-4 drops in your diffuser. Add more in desired.
- Internal Application – Dilute a drop in 4oz of a preferred liquid.
- External Application – Apply a drop or two to the affected area. Sensitivity can be overcome by mixing it with fractionated coconut oil.
- Keep out of the reach of children
- Avoid contact with sensitive areas such as eyes
Cautions for Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil is one of the stronger oils, it can cause skin irritation so patch test first before use and use carrier oil as needed. Avoid if pregnant or nursing, peppermint oil has been known to stimulate menstrual bleeding and stop the flow of milk. Peppermint essential oil can also interfere with homeopathic remedies so allow at least one hour between the two.
My favorite Peppermint Essential Oil Recipe
Peppermint Headache Blend
- ½ ounce carrier oil (I use grapeseed or coconut)
- 12 drops peppermint essential oil
- 4 drops eucalyptus essential oil
Mix and store in dark glass container at room temperature. I keep mine in a 1oz roller ball labeled headache.
This is what I know on Peppermint Essential Oil. Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and my website www.P3Aromatherapy.com for recipes and sales. Or you can buy Peppermint Essential Oil from Simply Aroma here. Namaste!